Getting Started in Dirt Karts

Licensing and Membership

To get started in Speedway Karting, you must join and SKAA affiliated speedway kart club, a list of which can be found here, and obtain a Speedway Australia Racing license, which can be done through the Speedway Australia site
Through the club, you must get a membership, a Kart log book and a Kart race number before racing.

The rules and regulations of speedway racing can also be found on the Speedway Australia website. The kart specifications and rules can be found on the SKAA website.

As there are many classes for different engines, we recommend choosing a class close to your weight. The classes and weights can be found here.

What you will need


  • Bitumen or Dirt Kart
  • Kart Trolley
  • Selection of front and rear sprockets
  • Electric Starter (If you’re running a clutch)
  • Fuel/Oil Ratio (Can be found here)
  • 2 Stroke Oil
  • Yellow AKA or K&N Kart air filter
  • Side Pods are mandatory, however a body kit can be attached to the outside of them


Both proper dirt tyres and soft bitumen wet tyres can be used in speedway karting and both have proven to be successful. There are several brands that make tyres suitable for use

  • Hoosier
  • Burris
  • Duro/Terra One
  • Unilli
  • Maxxis
  • Dunlop
  • MG
  • Bridgestone

Race Gear

All race gear must comply with the Speedway Australia rules and regulations regarding karts.

  • One-way communicator (Race Receiver)
  • Helmet, must be no older than 5 years old and in good condition
  • Neck Collar, Horseshoe or other kart approved neck restraint
  • Race Suit
  • Gloves
  • Boots
  • Tear Offs

Basic Tools

  • Metric Spanners
  • Metric Allen keys
  • Piston Stop
  • Sprocket Puller
  • Chain Breaker
  • Pop Off Guage
  • Tyre Pressure Guage
  • Pull Cord/Strap
  • T-Bars
  • Allen Key T-Bars

Stores and Dealers